The Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize is currently closed for submissions. The 2020 Prize will accept submissions from 6th January – 2nd March 2020.
Best Unpublished Manuscript | Prize: Publishing deal with Bonnier Books UK
Our definition of adventure writing can be found here.
We accept both unpublished and self-published manuscripts within this category. Please read the guidelines fully before submitting your entry and ensure you enter your work for the correct award.
How do I enter?
On 6 th January you will be able to submit your entry via on online portal which will be available on this page.
Terms & Conditions | Criteria for Unpublished Work
Submission of entry is taken to be an unqualified acceptance of these rules:
- The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English.
- You may enter multiple works but each manuscript must be submitted separately and will be considered a separate entry.
- Submissions must exceed 50,000 words in length. 75,000+ is ideal.
- The author must not already have a novel published by a recognised trade publisher.
- Self-published books are eligible.
- The author must not be represented by a literary agent.
- If you enter your manuscript in other competitions and you win, please notify us. If we believe there is a conflict of interest, we may ask you to withdraw your submission.
- Entries must be submitted digitally, ideally as .doc or .docx. There must be no reference to the author's name of personal details in the manuscript. We operate a blind judging process.
We reserve the right:
- to disqualify any entry if we have reasonable grounds to believe that the entrant has breached any of these rules. We cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the competition.
- to amend these rules where it is deemed necessary to do so or where circumstances are beyond our control.
- to not award the first prize, where circumstances are beyond our control, or if the judges’ overall verdict is that the level of entries is not up to the required standard.
We will act in accordance with current UK data protection legislation in relation to yourpersonal data. All personal data entered is secure.