The 2021 Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize is open for submissions 5th January - 7th March 2021. Entries to the Best Published Novel award must be submitted by publishers or literary agents. The submissions window will close at 11.59pm (GMT) on the day stated.
Best Published Novel | Prize: £10,000
Our definition of adventure writing can be found here.
Please ensure you read the terms and conditions below fully before submitting your entry.
How do I enter?
Entries can be made via the online portal below. You must create a free Submittable account.
Terms & Conditions | Criteria for Published Work
Submission of entry is taken to be an unqualified acceptance of these rules:
- The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English
- The work in question must have been published by a recognised trade publisher
- Entries must be submitted by a publisher (or one of your publishing team) or literary agent
- We do not accept children's or middle-grade fiction. YA titles are accepted.
- Entries must be published between 1st May 2020 - 30th April 2021. Proof copies are accepted
- Multiple works by the same author may be submitted
- Entries must be submitted digitally, as a .pdf file. Feel free to watermark the file. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about file type
If your submission is shortlisted:
- we will supply roundel artwork to the publisher and request that all paperback editions or reprints of the title feature this artwork. The shortlisting must be acknowledged in all online sales copy.
We reserve the right:
- to not award the first prize, where circumstances are beyond our control, or if the judges’ overall verdict is that the level of entries is not up to the required standard
- to disqualify any entry if we have reasonable grounds to believe that the entrant has breached any of these rules. We cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the competition
- to amend these rules where it is deemed necessary to do so or where circumstances are beyond our control
We will act in accordance with current UK data protection legislation in relation to your personal data. All personal data entered is secure.