Author of Tomorrow 2019 - Ewan Hart
The Midnight Zone by Ewan Hart (age 9) is shortlisted for the 2019 Author of Tomorrow.
An adventurer travels to the bottom of the sea only to find his sub has been attacked by a dangerous creature of legend.
- What is your favourite book?
My favourite book is Bear Grills, Mission Survival Sands of the Scorpion.
2. Who is your favourite author? Or one who has inspired you and why?
My favourite author is Adam Blade, he has inspired me that books don’t have to be really long to be good.
3. What is your favourite subject at school?
My favourite subject at school is English.
4. What does ‘adventure writing’ mean to you? Why did you choose to try your hand at an adventure story?
Adventure writing means where the character meets a series of challenges trying to achieve a goal. I tried my hand at adventure writing because I thought it would be fun and I like a challenge.
5. If you could ask an author anything, what would you want to know?
If I could ask an author anything I would ask if they enjoyed their own books!
6. Who would you consider one of your heroes and why? (This does not have to be a writer…)
I would consider Steve Backshall as one of my heroes because he puts himself in danger so that other people can view animals in their natural habitat without them having to travel thousands of miles or put themselves at risk.
7. What is the most adventurous thing you would like to do, or place you would like to visit and why?
The most adventurous thing I’d like to do is to save a species in some way, shape or form, because even though people are trying to save all species as a whole by reducing plastic, I feel it would be more effective if I were to concentrate on saving one species.
8. Where do you find inspiration for your stories? (Books, historical events, famous adventurers/explorers, news etc.)
I find inspiration for my stories from mythical creatures, such as the kraken, water spirits, Loch Ness monster etc.
9. If you could time travel, where would you go and why?
If I could time travel I would go back to after the dinosaurs but when there were many animals yet to become extinct. Many natural disasters and humans wiped these animals, and to go back in time to see them would be amazing.
10. What three words would you use to describe your story?
Three words to describe my story are sad, suspenseful and scary!